Darkness, tiredness, and a pretty awesome weekend

November 23, 2014

I haven’t really done anything worth mentioning this week. I’ve actually felt pretty down and low on energy, trying to sleep as much as possible. I guess the darkness is taking it’s toll, and as of yet, there’s no snow nor any cold weather to lighten up the days.

But we did have some sunshine this Sunday, so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

Since the fishing trip, and trying to capture the eagle, I’ve been thinking about getting a longer lens than I have. Sadly, getting something above 200mm is expensive, so I’ve been thinking about getting a tele-converter for my 70-200mm. There’s obviously trade-off’s getting a tele-converter instead of a long lens, and especially a 2x (it doubles the length of the lens, the 70-200mm f/2.8 becomes effectively a 140-400mm f/5.6) essentially, the tele-converter zooms in to the projection that the lens makes, in other words, any flaws in the lens will become really apparent when used with a TC. But I’m willing to sacrifice some image quality in order to get closer, and seeing as a TC is removable, it’s a lot lighter than bringing two heavy lenses, but anyway, I decided to put the plans to the side, waiting for my next pay-day.

Even though I had decided to post pone the purchase, I still try to keep an eye on the second hand market, you never know when you might get lucky. A couple of days ago I found a Kenko 2x tele-converter, and it was cheap. It retails for ~$200 or rather, here in Sweden for around 2500kr, so when an ad came up with a guy here in Stockholm wanted to sell his copy for 500kr, I kind of jumped on it.

The down side; he wanted to meet up Sunday morning at 9:20 AM, in the northern parts of Stockholm. In other words, I had to get up pretty early and spend an hour on the commuter train. The getting up part wasn’t that bad, however, spending an hour on the commuter train is pretty boring (though I’d take commuter train over subway any day of the week).

I had initially thought about bringing a book, but once I got the idea of bringing the laptop and playing MTG, the book kind of went out of the window (figuratively). I didn’t know time could pass as fast as that one hour ride there, and one hour ride back.

Magic the gathering, an evening of cards

Johan and Sofia invited me for a night of Magic the gathering and dinner at their place. I took the commuter train — which is as always, a pleasure.

Moments after I arrived, Sofia’s brother also got there, he has, as I understood, played a lot of MTG through out the days, and he brought a bunch of decks with him.

But before we got playing, we were treated with this awesome dinner. The most wonderful beef-stew with boiled potatoes. Proper food is something I rarely get to eat here in Stockholm, truth be told, I generally just eat junk food — so this was indeed refreshing.

After eating we started playing. I’ve never played a 2 vs. 2 magic game, I’ve only ever played 1 vs. 1. Sometime earlier I’ve talked to Johan about magic-matches, and he told me that the one’s he’s played usually last an hour, or longer. All of the matches that I’ve played have usually ended within 20 or 30 minutes, at most.


But we played for something like 5 hours, yet we only got through 3 matches. So I guess he was right, especially when you’re a couple of players.

Great evening, great company. I guess next time it’ll be my turn to act host — and I have no idea how to do it.